Wednesday, November 21, 2007


just to encourage all you avid hunters in the family, (yes christy, i mean you) if you just keep on trying then you too can have a bloody deer on your front porch! All you need is a good ol fashioned "never give up" attitude and some sticktoitofness.
Not to be beaten by the bucks I saw on my last adventure, i returned to the very same mountain with another friend to attempt once again to provide much meat for the family. My friend has not yet killed a sitka blacktail buck in Alaska so I tried my best to let him lead the way and I tried to put him in the best spots.
Anyway, as all good stories start....we sat down in a muskeg and began to blow the deer call. A light snow was blowing in our faces which meant that the bucks in front of us wouldn't smell us. We were doing everything right but nothing was happening. I was perhaps getting a wee-bit discouraged after about 15 minutes of nothing but snow when off to our left and behind us we heard something crunching in the bushes. Try as we might we couldn't see anything, so I sent Brian down that way hoping that he would be able to see a buck trying to sneak into our location.
Now, although Brian claims I did it on purpose, what happened next was pure chance and nothing more. As brian walked away to try to locate the source of the noise behind us, suddenly directly in front of where Brian had been sitting not 60 seconds before, stepped out a nice buck. I looked for Brian but he as already too far gone to even see it so I did what had to be done and shot it.

Now the funny part of this story is that Brian later confessed that as he walked away from me he had the funny thought in his head, "what if Jim shot me in the back and left me up here?" As this thought was going through his mind and he was rationalizing it away because of how nice I am......BOOM! I shot and he very nearly jumped out of his britches.
Well, it was just fate and I had no idea that by sending Brian away I would get his buck....but thats how funny stories go.
p.s. Grace was soooooooo excited that "daddy shot a huge buck and its on our porch!!!!!" She was ecstatic.

1 comment:

CM said...

Since when did this turn into the hunting blog? That is a funny story about Brian thinking about you shooting him. I bet his heart was seriously racing. Good work on your buck. Now can I see some pictures of your sweet little girl?